This high-performance, durable, well-organized, maintainable “machine” is one of five special operations rescue facilities in New York City. In addition to firefighting, these elite companies respond to more specialized emergency situations such as building collapses, subway emergencies, and scuba operations, and thus have special infrastructure and equipment storage requirements. All spaces in the building are strategically located in relations to the centrally placed Apparatus Rig, the most important element in the house. Responding to the restricted site, functions are stacked: physical work areas and storage occupy the ground and basement levels; rest, study, and dining are at the second level; and training and fitness spaces are at the mezzanine level. The primary design elements of the building’s east facade are oversized FDNY-red apparatus doors, which express the building’s identity as a FDNY facility and create an open-yet-secure street presence.
Project Status: Built
- Architecture Firm: Ennead Architects LLP
- Design Partner: Todd H. Schliemann FAIA
- Management Partner: Timothy P. Hartung FAIA
- Associate Partner for Design: Wm. Jack T. Phillips AIA
- Associate Partner for Management: V. Guy Maxwell AIA
- Project Architect: Anthony L. Guaraldo
- Project Team: Gary L. Anderson AIA, Charmian C. Place, Carlyle Fraser, Joerg Kiesow, Ryan P. Meeks, Si-Yeon Min, Yekta Pakdaman-Hamedani, Gergory L. Smith, Todd Van Varick
- Cost Estimator: M.T. Peters & Associates Inc.
- MEP Consultant: WSP Flack + Kurtz
- Specification Writer: Robert Schwartz and Associates
- Building Department Expediter: Jerome S. Gillman Consulting Architect, P.C.
- Elevator Consultant: Iros Elevator Design Services, LLC
- Environmental Graphics: Poulin + Morris
- Lighting: Brandston Partnership Inc.
- Geotechnical/Civil: Langan Engineering & Environmental Services
- Construction Manager: LiRo Program and Construction Management, P.C.
- General Contractor: Brickens Construction, Inc.
- Plumbing: Ace Contracting, Inc.
- HVAC/Fire Protection: Northstar Mechanical, Inc.
- Electrical: MetroYork Electrical, Inc.
- Fuel Oil: Empire Environmental
- Building Department Expeditor: Design 2147, Ltd
- Photography: Jeff Goldberg/Esto for Ennead Architects, Aislinn Weidele, Courtesy of Ennead Architects.