An innovative laboratory building when it was built in 1893, Dalton Hall is part of the National Historic District of Bryn Mawr College. This renovation reestablishes Dalton Hall as a technologically advanced academic buildingand transforms it from a campusbackwater to a campus destination. As the first phase of a new Center for Collaborative Learning and Research, Dalton Hall now connects below grade to the adjacent campus computer center, Guild Hall.
A stair and entry addition, visible from the main campus green, provides a gracious public circulation route without sacrificing space inside Dalton. Its tower form is the most evident signal of Daltons revival and allows views of the campus from the upper story lounges. Its lower level permits more program space to be added to Dalton two classrooms and a lounge and serves as a functional connector to the adjacent Guild Hall.
The buildings renaissance includes the full renovation of all floors and restoration of the exterior shell. This conversion to new office and support space maintains and updates the original industrial character of the building interior, with painted brick and wood walls. The original heavy timber and cast iron floor system, which was not code compliant, is replaced by an exposed steel structure.
New office and teaching spaces include classrooms with multimedia capability, meeting rooms, project work rooms, and faculty offices. Two interdisciplinary Academic Centers the – Center for Ethnicities, Communities and Social Policy, and the Center for International Studies are located on the second floor. A large classroom, distance learning classroom, as well as two anthropology labs occupy the high-ceilinged spaces of the two original chemistry labs.
The building is brought up to current life safety and handicapped accessibility codes, and modern building systems, a new elevator, and new toilet rooms are installed.